Thursday, January 6, 2011

'Hint of Lime' Chicken & Rice Soup

I whipped this up yesterday to just use things up on hand. All values are approximate. 


'Hint of Lime' Chicken & Rice Soup


Olive Oil
1 Onion, Chopped
garlic
2 stalks of celery, chopped
7 carrots, chopped 
water
chicken broth
2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
2 cups brown rice, cooked 
lime juice


Heat oil in large pan. Add onion and cook until soft. Add celery and carrots and garlic and cook. Add desired amount of water, chicken broth, and a few tablespoons of lime juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer (covered) for about 20 minutes. Add chicken and simmer until heated through. Add rice and serve. 


* Note: I froze most of this. I've read about freezing soups with rice, and how the rice absorbs all the liquid. To prevent this, I only added rice to my bowl, and then froze it separately from the soup. Yes, I froze cooked rice. I read about it *here*. Let's see if it works :) 


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment