Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pink Beans con Salsa Verde over Rice

I went shopping in my kitchen last night to find inspiration for tonight's dinner. I haven't been to the store lately, so my stock of fresh items is dwindling. That said, I whipped up a really filling dinner that was both delicious and took basically four ingredients I usually have on hand. Score!

Notes on Time: 
This recipe was really quick to put together (only about 10 minutes), but you have to do a bit of prep beforehand. I soaked the pink beans overnight and the cooked them according to the package directions. They don't take constant attention, but you have to account for the 2 hour they simmer on the stove. If you don't have time to cook the beans beforehand, you can cook beans and store them for up to 3 days in the fridge. Also, I used rice I had already cooked and frozen. This saved SO much time and was ridiculously convenient. I will continue to make large batches of rice and freezing it. It didn't loose any of the quality, and I would have never guessed it wasn't freshly made. If you don't have frozen rice or any kind of quick-rice, add in time to cook that as well!

Pink Beans con Salsa Verde over Rice
Makes 2 Dinner Sized Portions | Takes 10 minutes (plus time to cook rice and beans)


1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 C dried pink beans 
1/2 C Salsa verde 
1 1/2 C cooked brown rice 

Heat oil in large saucepan; add onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Add beans and salsa and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until heated through and serve over heated rice. 

1 serving of beans with 3/4 C rice: 250 Calories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment