Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Simplicity


As Leonardo da Vinci said "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

I bought Cara Cara oranges at the store by mistake. While only available December through april, the cara cara orange is nicknamed the "power orange." Appearing on the outside to be a regular orange, the interior of the cara cara  is a lovely pinkish red. They don't have any seeds, are really easy to peel, and are popular because of the low acidity content. They have a ton of nutritional benefits too. 

My initial plan was to make Martha Stewart's 'Orange Compote' with a few of them. Major fail. Compote is French for "mixture" and is a traditional French dessert composed of broken down fruit in a sugar syrup. I had it all mapped out in my head about how it would be great over some of my vanilla yogurt. 

Well it didn't turn out so well. For some reason it was pretty bitter. But I've decided that's okay. Enjoying the orange, and just the orange, was more delicious anyway :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment