Monday, February 7, 2011

Single Serving Fried Rice

Yesterday was a beautiful day. It made me fall in love with living in Florida again. While the rest of the country was threatened with "bone-chilling temperatures" and "loads of snow," I spent the day on my balcony basking in the sun. 

Today, on the other hand, I pulled out my rain-boots, coat, and umbrella and dealt with the inevitable headache that I can expect with every rainy day. It's okay though, because I'm thinking about the fried rice I made yesterday for lunch. Yep, it was that good. 


I didn't really plan for this meal. I had a cup of minute rice to use, and 10 minutes later it turned into this. Obviously depending on what you have in your fridge at the time or want to use up would change this meal a lot. It would be fantastic with some sort of meat, and if you're a fan of soy sauce that would be tasty as well. 


After I gobbled it down I found a few interesting facts about fried rice: Traditionally, it is a use for old rice. Ingredients are prepared separately and then combined at the end so they each bring their individual flavors to the dish. Funny how I did that but didn't know I was supposed to. 


Ingredients:
1 container of Minute whole grain and brown rice
1 cup frozen veggies (I used peas and carrots)
1 egg + 1 Tbs. water, whipped
1/2 onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste


Heat 1/2 Tbs. olive oil in frying pan until hot. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove from pan and set aside. Add egg and water mixture to pan and scramble. Meanwhile, heat minute rice and veggies in microwave. When eggs are cook through, add onions, rice, veggies, and salt and pepper to frying pan. Cook for one minute and transfer to a bowl. 


Approx. 420 calories 

No comments:

Post a Comment