Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fried Banana Bread

This always happens. I buy bananas. They go brown. I make something and gobble it up and then realize I could have just eaten the banana a week ago like a normal person and skipped out on hundreds of calories.

But, hey, this one was worth it. One recipe this morning for granola bars were okay but nothing to repeat. Then, tonight, I stumbled on something purely amazing. I still haven't been to the store so I was working with no butter, eggs, or milk. Who needs those things when you have oil. (okay, I'm gagging at myself)

I channeled my inner Paula Deen and fried something. I know. I don't eat fried food very often, and I've never fried anything in my kitchen.

Can I call these donuts holes? I don't know. I wish I had some powdered sugar, though. It was kind of like a warm pocket of banana bread....fried. I can kind of feel my arteries clogging. All I can tell you is that it's worth it.  And the pictures don't do it justice. 

Screw banana bread, I'm making these from now on. 

Fried Banana Bread 

1 3/4 C flour ( I used whole wheat, one foot forward a million back? )
2/3 C sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 mashed overripe banana
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup water
canola oil

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in mixing bowl. Stir in banana, vanilla, and water. The dough should be smooth, and a little sticky. Heat a generous amount of oil in frying pan until hot. Drop batter by spoonfuls into oil. Cook until brown on underside, and flip to cook other side. Remove and drain on paper towels.

*I made about half of this. I used approximate measurements, and it was easier to write down a double recipe. I also didn't make them all. We'll see if I make the rest of the batch tomorrow... 

1 comment:

  1. I Just Stumbled Onto This ReceipE & Am Giving It A Try. Decided Since My Bananas Were Pretty Much Liquid To Just Add A Second One & Less Water. Not Too Bad!

    ReplyDelete