Sunday, November 13, 2011

Zucchini Fries

I would love a new camera. Scratch that, I need a camera to begin with. Mine died on me over a year ago and I've been relying on my smart phone ever since. It does the trick, but sometimes I really miss having an actual camera.

My original plan was to buy myself one for graduation. You know, like a present to myself. That was before the reality hit that I have other 'presents to myself' that might be slightly more important. You know, a car, an apartment, moving my life, food, etc.

So I guess for now I'll enjoy what my smart phone has to offer. I might just bring out the duck tape and cardboard and try to fix my real camera, I've been able to manage temporary fixes before.

This is one of those 'recipes' that's less of a recipe but more of an idea to keep in mind for the future when I want something different. These zucchini fries were tasty and super easy to put together, not to mention healthy and pretty addictive. I don't normally eat ketchup, but dipping these in ketchup made them seem even more like fries. These are versatile and you can use whatever mix of spices tickles your fancy; I'm on a cumin kick so that's what I went for.


Zucchini Fries
inspired by "What you give away you keep"

What you need:
Zucchinis
Egg
Cornmeal
Spices: I used salt, pepper, and cumin
cooking spray

What you do:

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. While it's heating up, wash, dry, and cut zucchini into thin strips.

2) Beat egg in a medium bowl. At this point I added a little salt and pepper and tossed the cut zucchini in to coat with egg mixture.

3) Add a good amount of cornmeal to a ziplock bag and add additional spices if desired. Add egg-coated zucchini to the bag and shake well until coated evenly.

4) Empty 'fries' onto a baking sheet (I covered mine with foil) and spray lightly with cooking spray. This will allow the fries to get crunchy and brown a little. Watch closely. Depending on the size of your strips, the cooking time with vary slightly. Mine were done in about 15 minutes. Make sure to flip about halfway through to get an even crispness.

Thoughts:
*I made these with one medium zucchini and it was perfect for a big snack for one person.
* They weren't life-changing or anything. But when you're tired of your normal veggie-routine, it's a good way to shake it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment