Tuesday, January 10, 2012

French Breakfast Puffs

We've made French Breakfast Puffs for ages at my house. When I was younger and naive to how incredibly unhealthy they are, I would scarf as many in my face as Mom would allow. Now, I savor every bite even more knowing the damage they're doing. 

But honestly, these are to die for. In the "I don't care if I get diabetes, I'm eating these french breakfast puffs" kind of way. They're worth it. I mean, really, how many muffins do you get to dip into butter and then sugar?   


French Breakfast Puffs 
From: Mom
Serves: 10 Muffins 

1/2 C sugar 
1 1/2 C sifted flour
1/3 C shortening
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
6 T melted butter

In mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup sugar, shortening, and egg. Sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternatively with milk, beating well after each addition. Fill 10 greased muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 16-20 minutes. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Remove muffins from oven; immediately dip them in melted butter, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture until coated. Serve warm. 


Notes: 
*These are to be served right away. They're more delicious that way. But they heat up pretty well the next day too. They might freeze well, but I've never been able to test that out because of the lack of leftovers  on French Breakfast Puff day. 

*Also, you might burn your fingers when dipping them. But again, it's worth it. 

*We don't bother bringing out the mixer for this one. It's easy enough to just bring out the whip. Does it make them less delicious? Meh, I don't think so. And it makes clean-up a heck of a lot faster. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment