Monday, June 21, 2010

Honey, I'm home!

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." - Frederick Keonig




Today was my first day of my kid's cooking class. I am so lucky to have a great summer job that I am absolutely in love with.

After work and a quick trip to the gym, however, I came home and dinner was on the table waiting for me. Which, to be 100% honest... was really nice.

Mom made her stuffed shell manicotti recipe. I'm not sure what the recipe is, she probably just whips it together by memory every time. But it's one of my favorites so I need to get that from her!

She had also made a new recipe that we had set aside for tonight. I thought it was really tasting, but it's really similar to other things we made so we're not going to keep it. Definitely worth trying, though. 

Summer Vegetable Potato Salad 
Prize tested recipe from Ellyn Shull as seen in Better Homes and Gardens magazine

1 lb. small yellow or red new potatoes, sliced
2 fresh ears of sweet corn, cooked, or 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed 
4 roma tomatoes, sliced or cut into thin wedges
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn ( we didn't have any of these)
1/4 cup olive oil 
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. finely chopped shallot or red onion
(I think mom probably used red onion... shallots definitely have a strong-distinct flavor... but are pretty pricey)
1/2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
1/4 tsp. sugar 
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. In a medium saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in enough boiling salted water to cover for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool. Cut the corn from the cob. On large serving patter arrange the potatoes and tomatoes. Sprinkle with corn and the 1/4 cup basil. 
2. For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and shake well. Pour dressing over potato mixture. Sprinkle salad with feta cheese and basil leaves.  

*** Mom layered the ingredients over a bed of iceberg lettuce.  This added a nice touch, but isn't really needed. Also, I felt like there was almost too much dressing. Maybe use less and save it for tomorrow's salad? ***

 
Happy munching :]


No comments:

Post a Comment