Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Million Little Pieces

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

It was by chance this book caught my eye a while ago in the library. I briefly knew about the controversy behind it, but honestly hadn't paid much attention. After finishing it this morning, I knew it was one of those books I will remember reading forever. It impacted me and I think you should read it.

Here's a link to an article that describes both the book and the controversy pretty well.

Whether it's non-fiction, fictional, or a semi-fictional account, this book was one of the best I have ever read. Yes, the language is vulgar and graphic. It that bothers you, you should definitely skip this read. Yes, it is intense and gruesome.  There were moments where I had to put it down for a while for fear I might throw up if I read any further. But somehow this tale of addiction spoke to me. A story of something I can not even come close to relating to grabbed my attention and held it to the last page. Frey's writing style is easy to read, and it rings true. Whether every part of the book is 100% true or not, it feels like it is when you're reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment