Thursday, February 3, 2011

(15 Cent) Muhjadarrah

For starters, let me just say that this dish is 15 cents per serving. Yes, cents. For those who argue that you can't eat healthy on a budget, I declare you're wrong!

 Sure, you can run down to your favorite fast food chain and get something of the dollar menu.

Yes, how convenient. But it honestly isn't as cheap as you might think. Are you only getting one thing off these value menu's? I doubt it. My point is that if you decided you wanted to eat this dish three times a day for an entire week, it would only be $3.15. And it would be good for you. 

Anyway, rant over. I'm just excited at how cheap it is. 

The story behind this is actually pretty funny. I thought I was being clever putting some random things together for lunch, but after a quick google search I actually found out I made a classic Egyptian meal called Muhjadarrah. For my avid readers (ahem, hey Mom and Dad!) you will probably recall that I recently had an epiphany about lentils and how they are my new super food of choice. Well this dish is simple, chock- full of protein, and tasty. While I wouldn't nominate it for a beauty contest, the fact that it's pretty amazing in all the other areas makes up for it. 

Muhjadarrah
serves: 2 takes: 20 minutes


1 onion, cut in strips or cubes
1/2 Tbs. olive oil 
1 cup cooked brown rice (I used some thawed from the freezer)
1/2 C lentils

Cook lentils according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in pan on low heat and caramelize onions. This will probably take as long as the lentils cook (about 15 minutes). Caramelizing the onions is the key step in this recipe. It really brings the flavor to the dish. You don't want them to burn or they'll seem bitter, so keep an eye on them and stir often. When lentils are done, season with salt and pepper and stir together with rice. Top with onions and serve. Feel free to season as you wish. It was tasty by itself, but also very good with a splash of lemon juice. 

Per serving: 240 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment