Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lentil Soup with Turkey Sausage

This soup was so tasty; my favorite lentil recipe to date! Although I love the lentil soup recipe I originally made, this one had so much more flavor and I could eat it every day (and have for the past few). It freezes well, and doesn't taste any differently after being thawed and heated. It fills you up and is ridiculously cheap;

I added in Turkey Italian Sausage because I had half a package left from when I made Sausage and Spinach soup for my friend Oscar:
I've mentioned this recipe several times, but it is still one of my favorites! 

Anywho, this lentil soup is pretty similar to the first one I made, just add the turkey sausage!




Lentil Soup with Turkey Sausage
1 hour | About 5 1-Cup servings
Ingredients:
2.5 links Italian Sausage ( I used mild turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 tsp minced garlic
2 T ketchup
1 1/2 C lentils, picked over and rinsed
pinch dried thyme
2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar

Directions:
In a large pot, cook and crumble sausage over medium low heat until all pink is gone. Drain excess fat. Add onion and carrot and cook an additional 4 minutes. Add garlic and ketchup and cook another minute. Add lentils, thyme, chicken broth, and two cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Stir in vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. (Don't skip this step; it makes all the difference!)


*Note: Pictured is a whole-wheat oatmeal bread  with honey-butter that I made the same night.Sounds a lot better than it was... I need to do a little tweaking on the recipe

Each 1 cup serving: 160 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment