Monday, February 21, 2011

Yogurt Bars

I wasn't sure what to call these, let alone label them. I found them in the search for granola bars and kept it in my "make this!" folder because I have a large amount of dry milk to use up. The recipe I adapted them from calls them breakfast bars and I can see that, since they're made with cereal and yogurt. But they also turned out pretty sweet and look like ice cream sandwiches, so I've been eating them as a dessert.

These were honestly pretty... meh. I was contemplating not even posting the recipe, but I haven't been posting as often lately because I have a fridge full of leftovers and a freezer full of leftovers that I need to finish before spring break (11 Days!). This means cooking has been put on a slight standstill, and it's driving me crazy. I need people to cook for so I don't have so many leftovers all the time. hmph.

The 'meh' bars (hah) are growing on me as I eat more of them, but the first one seemed way too sweet. I mean, why add the honey? It has the natural sweetness of the yogurt and fruit. That's what I get for following the recipe and not making it my own I guess.

If anything, this has given me a (possibly) great inspiration for this recipe contest :
http://postnatural.com/RecipeContest.aspx

Stay tuned!

In the meantime, here is the original recipe (with my alterations and notes in italics; I made half a recipe)


Yogurt Bars:
2.5 C grape-Nuts
3 Tbl honey
16 oz yogurt with fruit, nonfat
1 C fruit cocktail
2/3 C nonfat dry milk powder

How to:
Spray an 8 inch square pan with vegetable cooking spray. I used a nonstick bunt pan and didn't spray.

Line pan with about 3/4 Cup of the cereal

In a blender, combine the honey, yogurt, fruit, and milk powder. Blend until smooth. Fold in 1 Cup of the cereal. I didn't put this big of a proportion of cereal in the mixture. Next time I won't add any, or any honey. I also didn't have any yogurt with fruit. 

Pour yogurt mixture into pan, and sprinkle with remaining cereal.

Freeze for at least 4 hours.

Cut into rectangles; they will look like ice cream sandwiches.

Servings: 8. With me halfing the recipe, I cut it into 12 squares. With this amount of ingredients it would have made 24 squares, each at about 100 calories each. 

No comments:

Post a Comment