Saturday, February 5, 2011

Turkey and White Bean Chili

It's settled. I can't live in a place that's cold and rainy all year long. It just begs me to stay in my pajamas and be lazy ALL day long. Luckily, it's Saturday and my stacks of homework gave me a reason to do just that. A day full of pajama's and soup that ended with a trip to the skating rink, yippee!


The kitchen definitely kept me busy today. This chili we've made at home before, but I've never made it here at school. It's pretty simple, yet I managed to not read the ingredients right. Still turned out pretty tasty! I added more water to stretch it out a bit, but feel free to make it however thin/thick as you wish. It went really nice with the home-made crackers (stay tuned).


25 minutes | 5 (1 cup) Servings


Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil *
1 lb. ground turkey
1 med. onion, chopped
4 tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 can (28 ounce) whole tomatoes in juice, chopped
1 can (15 ounce) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained


1. In 12 inch skillet, heat oil on med-high heat until hot. Add turkey and 1/2 tsp salt; cook 6-8 minutes or until turkey loses it's pink color throughout, stirring to break it up with spatula. Add onion; cook 4 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin, cook 1 min. 


2.  Add tomatoes with juice, beans, 1/2 cup water, heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occassionally. 


Optional: Serve with a dollop of yogurt. 


* I omitted the olive oil. I couldn't find 93% lean turkey at the store, so the fat in the turkey was enough for it not to stick. 


Calorie count per 1 cup serving: 215 (Although this could really change depending on the meat you buy)

No comments:

Post a Comment