Friday, February 18, 2011

Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread

My initial plan was to make muffins, and so I whipped this dough up before I realized that my friend had borrowed my muffin tins. A double of this recipe would have made a typical size loaf of bread, but instead I made a short loaf.

Without any oil or butter and with whole wheat flour and oatmeal, I didn't feel as guilty scarfing this down. It was delicious! Very dense, this  bread was like warm cinnamon oatmeal in bread form. It freezes nicely as well, which I can attest to because I just had a slice thawed out in the microwave.

I'm guessing if you drizzle it with a glaze of powdered sugar and water and you could call this a healthy dessert.

No more buttermilk recipes for a  while. I pulled out the 1/2 gallon I had left and it was all spoiled. And the date was March 3, sad.

3/4 C oats
3/4 C buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
3/8 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C applesauce, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 C dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 F. Let oats soak in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Stir in egg, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients and then add to the wet, just until moistened. Stir in craisins. Pour into non-stick loaf pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment