Saturday, February 12, 2011

Buttermilk Thyme Drop Biscuits

When I was at the store I wasn't sure how much buttermilk I needed for the red velvet cupcakes, so I bought way to much. Too much is definitely better than too little, but now I'm going to be baking with buttermilk for the next two weeks in order to not waste any. The obvious choices are pancakes and biscuits, but hopefully I'll be able to find a few different things to make with it too. I'm adding a 'Buttermilk' label to my blog so I can refer back to it when I run into a half-used carton of buttermilk, which seems to be more often than not.

These were yummy. I love biscuits. The bottoms got a little crunchy, but I attest that to the fact that I need a new cookie sheet. Also, they're great warm out of the oven, but doubt they'll be good tomorrow or after they're frozen. I'll keep you posted.

Buttermilk-Thyme Drop Biscuits
adapted from : Martha Stewart

Makes 6 biscuits| Total 25 minutes

1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 T baking powder
a few shakes of salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 T cold unsalted butter
1/2 C buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. With a pastry blender, incorporate butter into flour mixture.

Mix in buttermilk until a sticky dough forms; you may need to add a little more.

Drop 6 mounds onto a nonstick baking sheet and lightly pat tops to flatten slightly

Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.

~115 calories per biscuit


No comments:

Post a Comment